So it’s been a loooong while, this time my excuse was a HOLIDAY! Finally! Unfortunately, it wasn’t long enough…
Before I went away, and while it was still winter, I was experimenting with real stocks and made this chicken, rosini and corn soup:
1 Whole chicken
1 Onion roughly chopped
2 Peeled carrots, roughly chopped
1 Large celery stick, roughly chopped
2 Bay leaves
1 Bruised garlic clove
Salt & Pepper to season
1 litre water
1 can corn kernels
1 cup rosini pasta
Soy Sauce to taste
1. Put all the stock ingredients in a pot and simmer on low for 2 hours with the lid on. Remember to keep checking that the water doesn’t boil away.
2. Take out all the chicken and put to one side. Sieve out all the vegetables and let the broth settle and separate.
3. Clean out your stock pot and then pour back in the broth minus the fat. (I have a gravy jug that allows me to pour stock back into the pot but leaves the fat behind.)
4. Add about half a cup of water and the rosini and bring to a boil.
5. Shred the whole chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Place the chicken and the canned corn into the broth mixture.
6. Season with soy sauce and serve.