Many years ago my Gran cooked this for me on a cold Winters evening up in Pretoria. I just LOVED this one pot wonder. Not sure where she got the recipe from but here is my tweaked version:
3/4 Chicken breast with bones & skin on
Large knob of butter
1 Brown onion diced
1 Can of tomatoes
1/2 Cup of white wine
1 Litre of hot water
1 Cup of Italian rice pasta
1 Cube of chicken stock
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a large, heavy based pot and fry the chicken pieces. Once the skin is crispy, take them out and set aside.
2. Saute the onions in the rest of the butter, once done add the chicken, tomatoes, wine, stock and seasoning. Add a third of the hot water and simmer covered for about 45min.
3. Wash the pasta rice and add to the chicken. Cover with the remaining water.
4. Cook covered for another 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. And serve.
1. I tend to season the chicken while cooking to add extra flavour to the dish and continually taste to make sure there is enough stock.
2. The pasta tends to stick to the bottom of the pot, so stir often.
*SMITH Jewellery has teamed up with CityMob to bring you a sale this week, ending on our 2nd Birthday! Click here for awesome stock for men & woman, limited stock available.*