As I mentioned in Wednesday’s blog post I brought a cheesecake to a Christmas party. I had never been a huge fan of cheesecake until last year I thought I would give it a crack. I went once again onto my favourite site (taste.com.au) and had a look at what I could make. I have to admit, that the below recipe came about by NOT following their recipe and accidentally buying the wrong ingredients and just having to work with what I had. Amazingly, it did not flop. In fact, I reckon this is a flop proof recipe. Great for a Summer party, I present the AMA-Zing Lemon Cheesecake:
75g plain digestive biscuits (bashed to coarse crumbs with a rolling pin)
75g honey and lemon Provita biscuits (bashed to coarse crumbs with a rolling pin)
80g butter, melted, cooled
250g low fat cream cheese
250g low fat smooth cottage cheese
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 lemons, rind finely grated
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 teaspoons powdered gelatine
300ml cream, lightly whipped
1. Grease the base and sides of a 5.5cm deep, 22cm (base) spring form pan. Combine biscuit crumbs and butter. Press into base of prepared pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, cottage cheese and sugar until smooth. Then beat in the lemon rind.
3. Heat the lemon juice and gelatine in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a fork until hot and gelatine is dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly and then beat gelatine into mixture until well combined.
4. Fold in cream, mixing until well combined.
5. Spoon filling over base. Smooth surface.
6. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. And serve.
I often make this dessert the night before as it’s just easier that way.
If you have a big party, you might want to consider making two – people LOVE this dessert.