So after a conversation with some of my colleagues a couple of months ago I decided to start making my own muesli. And oh my word! What a difference it makes to the taste, the tummy AND the wallet! Here’s how I did it…
1/3 of a box Jungle Oats
3-5 large tablespoons honey1/2 packet mixed Omega Seed Mix
Whole packed raw almonds
Whole packet raw cashew nuts
1. Heat oven at 160 degrees Celsius
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a medium to deep based oven pan.
3. Melt the butter and then add the honey.
4. Add honey mixture to the oats and mix well.
5. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Keep on stirring mixture throughout roasting process to prevent burning.
6. When done store in an airtight container.
Easy peasy right?
You can mix and match whatever ingredients you want in your muesli. I found that dried fruit was not the easiest thing to chew though. Although crandberries are delish!
Personally, I find Jungle Oats oats a bit small. I know that there are larger oats available in the health section of Pick n Pay. I haven’t tried it before, but don’t see why it would be any different to use those oats.
You can add as little/as much honey as you want. I found though that it doesn’t roast as well with less butter.