Wow! Has it been a long time!? You know how it is, life/work/play (who am I kidding – work) just always seems to get in the way. However, not enough to stop me from spending some time in the kitchen.
Last week I made a pretty damn good chicken, mushroom and leek pie and this is how I did it:
Punnet of Mushrooms
Bunch of Leeks
2 cloves Garlic
3-4 Chicken Breasts
Half a block of Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons of Flour
1. Preheat your oven at 180°C. Chop up the leeks, mushrooms and garlic. I left everything quite chunky.
2. Gently saute the leeks and garlic until soft. Remember to season. Once ready place into a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same pan, fry the mushrooms, season and once ready add to the leeks.
4. Fry the chicken, season and just before it’s ready, add to the leek and mushroom mix.
5. Add some butter to the pan, then add the flour. Mix until it forms a paste (add more butter if needed) and then add the cream. Once it starts to thicken, add the stock, some nutmeg and season to taste. Pour this over your chicken mixture and mix well.
6. Roll out your puff pastry, place your pie tin upside down on it and cut out it’s shape. Then fill the tin with your chicken mixture and put the pastry cut out on top. Press down the sides.
7. Place your pie in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.